Aegina Sightseeing

The temple of Aphaia

The temple was built by the people of Aegina to honour the Minoic Goddess Aphaia, daughter of Zeus and Karmi. Another version of the myth supports that the name of the daughter was Vritomartys and run away to Aegina to hide from king Minoas of Crete who madly fell in love with her. The temple and its surroundings took their final form around 490 B.C. It is built in Doric style and the pediments are made of Parian marble, representing the campaign to Troy in which Ajax and Achilles played a major part in the Greek victory.

Goddess Athena is also present in them hence the name of the temple is referred to as Aphaia Athena. The place provides a marvelous view to the Saronic Sea and it seems you can touch the city of Piraeus. You can see the temple of Poseidon on cape Sounio and the Acropolis when the atmosphere is clear enough.

The old capital of the island called Palaiochora was located on a high stony hill which offered natural protection from the pirate raids. On the same spot the ancient city of Oia existed too. On the region of Palaiochora 38 churches are preserved today which reveal the development of the city mainly during the Venetian era. On the top of the city a Venetian castle was built offering a great view to the surroundings. Unfortunately very few parts of it are saved today.


On the archaeological site of Kolona, located on left part of the port of Aegina, the acropolis of ancient Aegina was built. The name kolona (pillar) comes exactly from this last pillar saved till nowadays in the area. The place was first inhabited around 3500 B.C during the Copper Era and was protected by a wall. Today only the north wall and some ruins are saved.

Next to the archaeological site the Archaeological Museum of Aegina is built with exhibits mainly from the excavations and their findings from surrounding area.  

The Monastery of Agios Nektarios
Close to the village of Kontos and opposite Palaiochora the popular Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) or Agios Nektarios is located. In 1940 Agios Nektarios restored an abandoned Byzantine monastery dedicated to Zoodohos Pigi and this was later renamed to Agia Triada. The restoration was completed in 1907 and the church of Agia Triada was inaugurated in June 2nd 1908. There is also a church dedicated to Agios Nektarios and a small one nearby where the saint’s grave lies.

Moni Islet
On the south western part of the island, just 10 minutes away by boat from Perdika village, Moni Islet is found. Only during summer season the routes for the visitors to the islet are frequent as its only residents are some deer, wild goats and peacocks friendly to human presence. The islet is full of pine trees and is a heaven for hiking and explorations while the waters are deep and ideal for snorkeling and spear fishing. As for beach and tourism infrastructure there is an organized beach with cantinas were visitors may have refreshments or some snacks.

Sign in Sign up

Forgot your password?
Melian boutique hotel in Greece is a haven of serenity and calm for couples...
Read more